The African Media Initiative (AMI) is a pan-African organisation that seeks to strengthen the continent’s private and independent media sector from an owner and operator perspective to promote democratic governance, social development and economic growth. It does so through a set of strategic activities aimed at transforming the media and communications landscape on the continent. AMI’s overall goal is to promote the development of pluralistic media as a necessary and critical ingredient of democratic governance, as well as economic and human development in Africa. The organization was established in 2010 and is headquartered in Nairobi,Kenya.
AMI has been shaped by the most comprehensive research and consultation process ever conducted on the media in Africa. This was done under the auspices of the BBC World Service Trust and the UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and is included in the 2005 G8 Gleneagles and Commission for Africa recommendations. All relevant regional stakeholders, from the African Union Commission, the African Development Bank and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa through to every significant African media structure (owners, editors, journalists) have formally endorsed AMI, suggesting a powerful consensus that a healthy media sector is a requirement for improved growth, governance and accountability.
AMI’s work focuses on the following five priority areas :
- Strengthening the Media Owners and Operators’ Community
- Expanding Access to Finance and New Revenue Streams
- Harnessing the Digital Revolution through Technological Adaptation and Innovation
- Building a Leadership Cadre in the Media Sector through a Commitment to Improved Ethics and Management
- Content Development for African media outlets, by African journalists
Our Core objectives:
- To narrow the gap between African media content and the regional development agenda. AMI believes that aligning media content to Africa’s development efforts will enable the media to play a more effective role on the continent.
- To build capacity within media through specialized training on reporting on the key sectors of the economy, in collaboration with industry experts.
- To create a dynamic network of media professionals on the continent, who subscribe to the highest ethical standards and are committed to promoting excellence in the media.
- To support efforts to build a platform for the dissemination of regional messages and shared experiences across Africa.